With our brew guide, unlock the secrets of crafting the perfect espresso at home, complete with tips and techniques for precision brewing. From preheating your machine to tamping with finesse, this step-by-step tutorial is your key to mastering the art of making an espresso.
3. Dose and grind the coffee: A simple set of parameters for brewing espresso is 18g in, 36g out, with a shot time of 25-35 seconds. If you can get close to that, we're in business and we can start modifying from there. Grind your coffee beans just before brewing to ensure freshness. There is no single grind size that's going to work for every coffee. If you're grinding your own beans at home (go you) and trying out different coffees from multiple roasters, every coffee's optimal grind setting is going to be slightly different. The way you determine how to modify your grind setting is by first, tasting the coffee, and second, monitoring the variables in our control. For the sake of brevity here; if your coffee is sour, grind finer. If your coffee is bitter, grind coarser. If you press the button to start your shot and it comes pouring through the portafilter and you get 60g in 20 seconds, make your grind finer. If you press the button to start your shot and it takes 30 seconds before your first drip of black gold, grind more coarsely. We'll do another post just focused on dialing in espresso, this is just a starting point.
5. Insert the Portafilter: Attach the portafilter into the machine's group head.
6. Brew: Start the brewing process. The espresso should flow out as a steady stream, with a thick, crema on top.
7. Stop the Extraction: Manually stop the extraction once you've reached the desired volume of espresso in your cup or shot glass.
8. Clean the Machine: It's essential to clean the portafilter, group head, and steam wand to ensure the machine remains in good working condition! Take care of your baby.
As you savor the velvety richness of your homemade espresso, you're experiencing the art of coffee brewing like never before. This brew guide is your roadmap to becoming your own barista, enabling you to create espresso that's truly exceptional. Embrace the journey, perfect your technique, and relish every cup of espresso. It's time to brew like a barista from the comfort of your own kitchen! 😄